Tips On How to Apply for Admission and Visa to Study in Canada
Do you need information on How to Apply for Admission and Visa to Study in Canada as an international student? Don’t close this tab!
Canada is the largest country in North America and second only to Russia in the world.Canada shares a border with the United States. Canada has open arms, and welcome students irrespective of country of origin or religion, it is great for her cuisine, diversity, and lifestyle, it sets Canada apart and makes it an excellent destination for tertiary education.
If you wish to study in Canada, then you need vital information like admission tips, living expenses and more, read on to find out more about how to secure admission and more.
Securing a slot for tertiary education in universities of your choice is the first step to focus on. It is important to meet the requirements of the institution you choose and submitting an application is the first step to achieve this objective.
It is important to note that every institution sets the requirement for gaining admission and it is displayed on their website. It is important to check the website of the institution you intend to apply for to see if you meet the requirements of contact your admissions counselor.
While institutions set custom requirements, there are general principles that apply to all institutions like a test for English proficiency and submission of previous results.
To begin your journey, you will be required to complete an application and submit necessary documents to complete the process. Upon receipt of your application, you will be asked to provide your high school transcripts (For Undergraduate studies) and a CV that states your personal goals and activities you’ve been involved in since you finished studies. You may need to present a letter of intent explaining the reasons you chose the institution you applied to. An English proficiency test is also required.
Courses are offered in both French and English, though most institutions offer courses in English.
Presenting a proficiency test result is absolutely important. IETLS is accepted in most schools while some schools accept TOEFL. Required IELTS score to decide admission is usually determined by your school of choice. The different institution set different criterion for offering admission so contact the institution you apply to in order to find out if you meet the stipulated requirements. MBA students are required to have work experience not less than 24 months.
Also, admissions into any school in Canada, for undergraduates, require at least 12 years of education while for a postgraduate program, a minimum 16-month education is required.
Cost of studying in Canada
Studying in Canada is affordable compared to other western countries. It is important to know that the cost of expenses in one institution is different from another. Living expenses, transportation, and lifestyle also factor that affect the budget and you need to make preparations for these expenses. As an international student, your expenses can vary between $17000 CDN – $33000CDN annually.
READ ALSO: Study in Wales: Cost of Study, Cost of Living, Scholarships and How to Apply for Admission
Tuition fees are determined independently by various universities. The program of choice you apply for has everything to do with your tuition cost, not all programs incur the same expense.
Engineering and medical programs incur higher fees than Social Sciences. Medical and Engineering programs may incur about $24,000 CND yearly while Arts and Humanities may cost around $ 18,000 annually, though it also depends on your institution of choice.
When you enroll for postgraduate studies, the cost of tuition fees is higher and MBA executive courses cost as much of $40000 dollars.
Tuition is paramount and you are required to provide evidence that you can pay for your tuition because it is a large part of your academic budget. It’s imperative to plan for books, feeding, living expenses and housing.
Majority of the institutions in Canada provide accommodation on campus and the cost is independent of tuition cost. A separate application is needed for housing if you want to study in Canada. The cost of an on-campus apartment is different from one institution to the next, closeness to your institution and your meal package also influences the cost of housing.
Most students stay away in cities renting flats or apartment. If you decide to stay off the campus, you need to make a budget for your living expenses, living expenses overall affect the cost of housing so it is important to make adequate preparations. Renting apartments usually cost between $700 CND – $1800 CND monthly depending on the vicinity and apartment type. Most universities offer the services of accommodation both on and off the campus.
Transportation and Feeding
Whether you live on or off campus, transportation plays a major role in your successful stay in Canada. Some cities have very good transportation network and students can use affordable means of transportation like ferries, train, and buses. Some providers offer discounts and you can choose the mode of transportation that suits you. Transportation cost can reach $110 monthly.
Although feeding isn’t too expensive, it depends on personal preference. Eating outside can be expensive if you want to eat meals in food outlets, a couple of meals daily and drink costs about 24CDN. A cup of coffee sells for $3. Eating out or cooking is entirely up to you to decide.
Deadline to submit your application
Studying In Canada, a significant amount of institution resumes academic calendar by October, Prompt submission is important so you have plenty of time to process the admission. All schools set a deadline and it is important to find out the deadline to present your application so you are not left out.
You must meet the criteria set for your course, hence it is important to verify ahead of time that you meet the demands for your program of choice. Application commences in August, endeavor to submit an application early to secure an admission spot. You must also let your choice university know of your intentions from early May.
Some institutions charge an application fee, while some do not, an admissions counselor can provide you with information about schools that charge this fee and the ones that do not.
Student VISA Application
To gain entry for studies, a visa is mandatory. The documents required for obtaining a Visa are as follows:
- You must be given an acceptance letter from a recognized institution
- Next stop is to get a Canadian student visa application package their online using CIC website or walk into a local visa office or consulate in your country. In other to get the visa application package, questions will be asked to determine if you are eligible for a student Visa.
- If found to be eligible, you will be sent a personal checklist code with a page containing a code needed for submitting your application online which is only valid for 60 days. The printed out page also contains tuition fee amounts, a guide to applications, a list of documents to submit along with your application.
- Create a MyCIC account by providing your checklist code, where you will be given your personal document checklist which allows you to upload all your documents to CIC.
- After uploading the necessary documentation and paid your fees, submit your completed application to CIC
- Some students from certain countries require a biometric caption.
- Applying for a student visa would need proof of funds to sustain yourself during your study.
If your application is granted, you will be issued a Student Visa permit for 5 years depending on the period of your studies.
Hope you have gotten enough tips on How to Apply for Admission and Visa to Study in Canada ? you can also check out the opportunities listed below.
- 15 Scholarships for Equatorial Guinea students in Canada 2019-2020
- 15 Scholarships for Ghanaian Students to Study in Canada 2019-2020
- 15 Scholarships for Eritrea to Study in Canada 2019-2020
- 2019/2020 Fully Funded Scholarships – APPLY NOW
- University of Ottawa International Scholarships in Canada, 2018-2019
- University Of Guelph CGS MSc Scholarships In Canada 2018
- Latest Canada Scholarships for Undergraduates, Masters and Ph.D. Programmes 2019-2020
- Ledcor Undergraduate Scholarships in Construction Engineering and Management in University of Alberta,2019
- Ted Rogers School of Management Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships in Canada, 2017
- Simple Steps To Apply For Trent Scholarships 2019