The Washington State Opportunity Scholarship (WSOS) supports low- and middle-income students pursuing eligible high-demand majors in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care. The program encourages recipients to work in Washington State once they complete their degrees.
If you are selected, you will receive $2,500 for 1-3 years, depending on how many quarters/semesters of college you had completed at the time of application. It is possible to increase your scholarship to the $5,000 level and subsequently to the $7,500 level.
Level and Area of Studies
College or University level in STEM and health care studies.
Place of Study
In the United States of America.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Must be a Washington state resident (as defined in RCW 28B.15.012)
- Must have earned a high school diploma or GED from a Washington State high school or institution by June 2017
- Must be pursuing an eligible high-demand major (by alphabet, by category) in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care
- Must be working toward a first bachelor’s degree, (i.e. four-year degree)
- Must be enrolling in an eligible Washington state college or university fall term 2017
- Must be planning to enroll as a full-time college student (12+ credits) fall term 2017
- Must be a high school senior at the time of application or a college student who will have completed six or fewer quarters, or four or fewer semesters by fall of 2017 as a full-time student (12 or more credits per term)
- Must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) through fall quarter of at least 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov or submit the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) at readysetgrad.org/wasfa
- Must apply for Federal Education tax credits if eligible.
- Must have a family income.
Only Washingto State residents are invited to apply.
The application package must be consisting the materials as follow:
- Transcripts without grades
- A copy of your official GED score
February 28 every year.