Applications are now been submitted for the Benjamin A.Gilman International Scholarship Program for US Students, and applications submissions continues till October 3, 2017 for summer 2018.
The Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000.This scholarship provides awards for US undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
Level: undergraduate students who are planning to study and intern abroad.
Field(s): all majors are eligible.
School(Institutions/ Country): | Abroad (except Cuba or a country on the US Department of State’s current Travel Warning list).
‣ Award No: Over 2,700 Benjamin A.Gilman International scholarships will be awarded.
Funded By: Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US Department of State
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship is targeted for students from USA can apply for these Benjamin A.Gilman International scholarships.
The Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and is open to all U.S. citizen undergraduates, in good academic standing, who meet the criteria listed below:
‣ The applicant must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of his/her study abroad program or internship.
‣ The applicant is applying to or has been accepted into a study abroad program or internship eligible for credit by the student’s accredited institution of higher education in the US
‣ The applicant is studying or interning abroad for at least four weeks (28 days) in one country – or two weeks (14 days) for current community college students – and no more than one academic year. Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be in one country for at least four consecutive weeks.
‣ The applicant is studying or interning abroad in any country except Cuba or a country on the U.S. Department of State’s current Travel Warning list. Students applying to programs in Mexico may only apply for scholarships to support study in Mexican states where no advisory is in effect according to the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning list.
Selection Criteria for Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship
‣ The US Department of State’s goal for the Gilman Program is to broaden the student population that studies and interns abroad by supporting undergraduates who might otherwise not participate due to financial constraints.
‣ The Gilman Scholarship Program aims to support a diverse range of students who have been traditionally under-represented in education abroad, including but not limited to:
- Students with high financial need;
- Students from diverse ethnic backgrounds;
- Students going to non-traditional countries, especially those outside Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand;
- Students from a diverse range of institutions, including community colleges, Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Tribal Colleges, Hispanic-Serving Institutions and other Minority-Serving Institutions;
- Students with disabilities;
- First generation college students; and
- Students in underrepresented fields of study, especially the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
Scholarship Application Method
- Online application which includes uploading official transcripts.
- Online certifications from the applicant’s study abroad and financial aid advisor.
Both components must be completed by the deadlines in order for your application to be accepted. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered and extensions cannot be granted.
The online application is due at 11:59 PM Central Time on deadline day. The online application system will close at this time and no more applications will be accepted. This deadline also includes uploading official transcripts from your current college or university and any transfer institution listed in your application. For detailed instructions on how to upload your transcripts, please visit our Transcripts page.
We highly recommend that you submit your application at least one week before the deadline date to ensure that you do not miss the deadline as a result of technical difficulties with your equipment/network or as a result of heavy traffic on the Gilman website. In addition, if you encounter any issues or have questions, you will have time to contact the Gilman Program during business hours to address in advance of the deadline.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on October 3, 2017 for summer 2018
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.